Want to survive the teen years? Remember these 8 things!
Adolescence is a super challenging time for teens and parents alike. No one is immune to the stress and heartache that is a part of your job description.
I know you want to survive the teen years with your sanity in tact!
I have a simple and encouraging message for you. We all need that sometimes right?
Here are some thoughts to consider today.
1. Try not to spend too much time worrying about everything, especially things you can’t control. Focus on the things that matter and let go of the rest.
2. If you can make it through the teen years with your relationship intact you can call that a success!
3. Remember, in all that you do you are planting seeds in your son’s life. Even if he does not seem to be responding, it doesn’t mean your effort and your wisdom is wasted.
4. When things get tough, try to maintain your calm and realize that “this too shall pass.”
5. Make the effort to accept your teenager and love him just the way he is right now (no easy task!).
6. There is a good chance he is going to be just fine.
7. Also, don’t forget to take care of yourself. Get the support and help you need. Plan times to get away and do things you enjoy. Don’t forget that you need to recharge your batteries in order to be the parent you want to be.
8. And lastly, be grateful for the wild and wonderful opportunity to parent your amazing teenager.
You might be thinking, that sounds like great advice, but it’s not enough to handle what’s going on in your family.
If that’s the case, Guilford Family Counseling can help. We offer individual, family and group counseling in Sonoma County. Our offices are conveniently located in Santa Rosa.
You can find out more by going to our Start Here page.